Thursday, March 13, 2008

Golden


Before Rapunzel's birth, her mother made a dangerous deal with the sorceress, Melisande: If she could not love newborn Rapunzel just as she appeared, she would surrender the child to Melisande. When Rapunzel was born completely bald and without hope of growing hair, her horrified mother sent her away with the sorceress to an uncertain future.
After sixteen years of raising Rapunzel as her own child, Melisande reveals that she has another daughter, Rue, that was cursed by a wizard years ago and needs Rapunzel's help. Rue and Rapunzel have exactly " two nights and the day that falls between" to break the enchantment. But bitterness and envy come between the girls, and if they fail to work together, Rue will remain cursed...forever.
I really enjoyed this book, and it definitely held my attention the entire time. I have read other books in the Once Upon a Time series, so I had high hopes for the Rapunzel one. It was very inviting, and different from the original story, which is something that I like in retellings. I loved the main character Rapunzel, and it was interesting to read about how both her and Rue's stories were worked out. * Possible Spoilers* The only thing that was strange was, it seemed that there wasn't really a proper villain and there wasn't a big part at the end where they had to defeat that villain. It was mainly the two girls trying to break the enchantment, that truthfully seemed entirely too easy. But other than that, I enjoyed it. Another great book in the series.

6 comments:

Q said...

So the villain was the enchantment?

Bridget said...

You can think of it that way. I never considered it, personally. I don't mind if there isn't a horrible villain in the book, I just like for the character to overcome challenge, and Rapunzel and Rue did that.

Leanna said...

Q- Yes, the enchantment was the villain they had to overcome.

And Verity, you're right, there doesn't have to be a huge villain. I merely thought it was interesting because it didn't follow the usual fairy tale format.

Anonymous said...

I will have to read this book. I have read some of the others in the series and really liked them.

Bohae said...

*Needs to read Golden* ;)

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite Once Upon a Time book so far. :)