Thursday, April 3, 2008

Getting Ready for May 16: Prince Caspian Movie

*SPOILERS*
I'm a big fan of this book series, and the first movie The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Now usually when one of someone's favorite books are being made into a movie, they want the adaption to be as close to the book as possible. Now for this movie I am very open to changes, mainly because I loved the changes they made to the first one. However, there have been many controversies to some of these changes, so I decided to share my thoughts on some of them.
The Night Raid: First, the completely added, action packed night raid on Miraz's castle. When we very first found out about this change, we didn't know the reason behind the night raid. Now from recent reviews, we know the main motive is to overthrow Telmarine king, and free Narnia once more. We also know that it does not go well, and ends in a slaughter of the Narnian troops according to a new review by Aint it Cool News ( for your warning, the article has very strong language). I was very excited about this scene and was glad that they added it in the movie. I think the reason they did was to just add another action scene, but at least something might come out of it, since we know now it'll give a lesson to the characters and make them realize what they're up against.
Peter and Caspian fighting: Another one of the big controversies. This is something that they didn't do in the book. Actually they got along quite well. But in the movie there is going to be a lot of tension and rivalry between them. And I think that this makes perfect sense. Of course when you put two kings in the same room, there's going to be friction. Plus with Peter's cockiness that is going to be added ( something I completely dislike), I can see how they would have that power struggle. It doesn't help that they got off to a bad start ( we know there is mistaken identity, and that they sword fight each other). I think this change will add to their maturity at the end of the book, when Peter passes the throne along to Caspian.
Susan and Caspian romance: I am completely, one hundred percent against this change. I think it is completely ridicuous. In the book, they barely even speak. They just want to add another Holleywood cliche. Some rumors from the first screenings even say that they kiss. This would ruin the movie for me completely. I hate this change, and hope nothing serious comes from it.
Susan fighting: In the movie, Susan has a big part in the battles. The reasons I don't like this is because it is completely against her character. Susan doesn't fight ( hence her nickname "Susan the Gentle"). It is completely out of her character and is something she never did in the book. The reasons I like this is because, I think it's okay for girls to fight and it would add that she's not going to hang around and let the boys fight for her. Plus it's a modern day movie now. Women do fight in wars now, when they didn't when the books were written. So I mainly like that because of the " Girl Power".
So those are my thoughts on some of the really big changes. I feel pretty comfortable with them making changes, as long as they're needed. Feel free to comment as much as you wish with your opinions. But in the end, we'll have to wait to see the movie to form our real ones.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay...
The night raid: I'm okay with that.
Peter and Caspian fighting: It depends on how it's pulled off in the movie.
Susan/Caspian romance: I'm so against this. *shudders*
Susan fighting: I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.
I'll have to see what I think once I actually see the movie. I just hope I'm not disappointed.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'm agains any of those. I think I might like a little romance, actually. *waits for tomatoes* It matters how they do it and whether it fits. The one thing I'm nervous about is Peter's new attitude. Just not him. And I want Susan to fight! Narnia was written in another era. There was a reason that she didn't fight then.
~Felicity