Friday, April 25, 2008

Lock and Key-Sarah Dessen


When a social worker shows up at Ruby's small yellow house demanding to know where her mother is, Ruby knows the game is up. For the past few months, she's been on her own, managing somehow, knowing that her mother will probably never return.
That's how she comes to live with Cora, the sister she hasn't seen in ten years, and Cora's husband Jamie. A luxurious house, a fancy private school, a new wardrobe, the promise of college and a future-it's a dream come true. So why is Ruby so reluctant to let go of her past and learn to trust again?
Wow, this was such an amazing book! The main character Ruby was wonderfully realistic, and I could really relate to her and her struggles throughout the story. This is great book about letting go of the past and learning to accept the changes in life. I loved her hesitant relationship with her sister Cora at the beginning of the novel, and how it grows throughout the story as we learn more and more about why they haven't spoken in so long. The characters were funny, especially her brother-in-law Jamie, and all the new people she meets, that teach her a lot of stuff about herself she didn't realize before. I've loved all of Sarah Dessen's novels, and this one did not disappoint! If you haven't bought this book already, do so, because it is an amazing, inspiring read!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read two of Sarah Dessen's novels. Both of which I liked. I really want to read this one.

Patrice said...

Ha, I'm not good at anything thats athletic!
This book sounds good. I'll have to add it to my gigantic list of stuff to read!

RR2 said...

I loved this book, too! It was simply awesome.

Bridget said...

It sounds really nice! :D