Friday, January 25, 2008

Book Meme

Tagged by Anilee

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?

That would probably be Eldest by Christopher Paolini. I read the first Eragon thinking it was just okay, and then started to read the second. I got so incredibly bored, I stopped and never started again. Some of my friends loved it and thought it was better than the first one, but I think I've been avoiding reading it. Maybe someday...

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?

Wow. I suppose I would pick Edward Cullen from the Twilight series, to decide for myself if he's really as perfect as he's made out to me. Plus it'd be cool to meet a vampire, if he'd refrain from killing me ( just kidding). Next, I would pick Ani from The Goose Girl mainly because she's one of my favorite female characters, plus someone I could totally get along with. And lastly, either Ginny or Luna from the Harry Potter series.

(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can't die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for a while, eventually you realize it's past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?

Maybe this fits better with the first question, but that would be The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I started reading it a couple years ago, but was so bored I couldn't get past the first couple of pages. But maybe I'd enjoy it more now than I would have two years ago, but it boring me is basically the only thing I remember about it.

Come on, we've all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you've read, when in fact you've been nowhere near it?

I've never actually said or hinted that I've read these books at all, but a lot of people I know think I've read The Lord of the Rings series. Most of my friends have assumed this since I'm such a big fan of fantasy books and movies, but nope I haven't. But I'm planning to.

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you'd read, only to realize when you read a review about it/ go to re-read that you haven't? Which book?

I don't think that's ever happened to me. I usually keep pretty good track of the books I have and haven't read.

You're interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisior to some VIP ( who's not a big reader). What's the first book you'd recommend and why: ( if you feel like you'd have to know the person, go ahead and personalize the VIP).

I would probably recommend a book by Shannon Hale ( they're all so good, I can't think of just one). Though if they weren't big on reading, I would recommend Twilight by Stephenie Meyer just because everyone seems to like it, and it wouldn't be too hard for them ( basically, an easy read).

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading and comprehension in a foreign language of your choice. What language do you go with?

I'm having a huge debate over French and Spanish. I'm learning Spanish right now, so I already understand some of it, and French has always been something I've wanted to learn. There's only one way to decide this: I'll pick German! That way I'd get to read Inkdeath before it comes out in the United States!

A mischievious fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will re-read once a year for the rest of your life ( you could read other books as well). Which book would you pick?

Hmm, something I'd enjoy now and in the future. I don't think I'll ever get tired of The Goose Girl.

What's one bookish thing you've discovered from book blogging?

A lot of different genres and authors, I guess. I've started looking for release dates, trying new kinds of books, and reading books I thought I'd never read.

The good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she's granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favorite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead- let your imagination run free.

I prefer to actually read books in paperback, but I like to have hardcover books for my collections. So maybe all of my books in paperback and hardback? While I'm being extravagant, I'd want all my favorite books signed by the authors. Other than that, just a nice, roomy, comfy place would be fine by me.

Well, that was really fun! I guess I'll tag Fantasy and Maribeth.

No comments: