Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Host-Stephenie Meyer


Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.
Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.
When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.
Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves—Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.
First off, I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I don't especially like the Twilight series, but I heard a lot of good things about this one. Some people even said it was better than Twilight. So I started it, and I have to admit that the beginning was a little slow. It took me a little while to get into it, but it does get better. About ten chapters in, I got so engrossed in it, I finished it in one and a half days. And I loved it! I think that I liked it ten times better than the Twilight series. The characters in this one don't annoy me half as bad, and Stephenie's writing in this one is the best it has ever been. However, I was very disappointed in the ending. I think the book would have been fine it she'd ended it at chapter 58. I didn't really like the ending as much. But I loved the book as a whole. This is definitely worth it! Ten times better than Twilight in my opinion. This is a book definitely worth reading.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought this, but I still haven't decided if I want to read it or not. I might have to give it a try now. :)

Patrice said...

I absolutley LOVED this book. Your right about the beginning though, it was rather slow.
It's amazing to see how much Stephenie's writing has improved since Twilight!

Bridget said...

I've seen this book, but I'm not really sure I want to read it. I mean, this is a positive review, and Taiger had one, too, so I think I'll probably give it a try.

Holly said...

It's good to hear the opinion of someone else who didn't like the Twilight books (I didn't really either). I know there's no way I'll be able to get this from the library this summer, but I might read it later.

Madison said...

I got to page eighty before deciding I didn't have the patience at the moment to get further to where it actually picks up. I'll read it over the summer.

Leanna said...

Ani Isilee, Verity, and Cuileann: You must give it a try!

Patrice: Glad you liked it too!

Madison: It is a very good book once it picks up. Hope you'll try it again later. Maybe it'd be a good book to read right before BD :)

Kelsey said...

I absolutely, possively loved this BOOK!!!!!!!!!! It was amazing. I suggest reading my review for it on my blog.