Saturday, May 10, 2008

Bewitching Season-Marissa Doyle


In 1837 London, young daughters of viscounts pined for handsome, titled husbands, not careers. And certainly not careers in magic. At least, most of them didn't.
Shy, studious Persephone Leland would rather devote herself to her secret magic studies than enter society and look for a suitable husband. But just as the inevitable season for coming out is about to begin, Persy and her twin sister discover that their governess in magic has been kidnapped as part of a plot to gain control of the soon-to-be Queen Victoria. Now they must weave their way through some magical and real challenges to rescue her. And Persy discovers that husband hunting might just not be such an odious task after all.
This book reminded me a lot of The Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray, considering they both deal with English society, but also magic and fantasy. Except....this one wasn't as good. I enjoyed parts of it, but it was very slow at the beginning and it couldn't hold your attention for very long. I did really love the main character Persy though, whose point of view the story is told from. There were some good parts that really did entertain me, but I wasn't completely enthralled with it the whole time. It is a fun read, and I would recommend it if this is something you're in the mood for. But if you have something better to read, feel free to pick that up instead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

I found your profile while searching for people who had 'The Mediator' series in their favorite books. Your profile sounds interesting, so I just stopped by!

This is great blog, you got. I'll keep coming!

- Dream Out Loud!
. Raspberry

Holly said...

Yeah, it kind of sounded like a Gemma Doyle knock-off to me when I first read the description...meh. (Says the book snob. *points at self*)