Sunday, October 19, 2008

Internet Sarcasm

It is so hard to determine whether someone is using sarcasm on the internet. Sometimes when I leave a comment or response on a blog or message board, someone else might respond to what I said in what I might interpret as sarcasm.

You see, on the internet you're not actually there with them to determine their tone of voice, facial expressions, etc. So when you're online you have no idea what they were intending by their particular comment. So the comment can either not phase you or you end up thinking "Wait, were they making fun of me?"

So please, if you're using sarcasm with me say so. Otherwise, it could leave me scratching my head for while. ;)

4 comments:

Q said...

I'm afraid I'm a perpetrator of using sarcasm on the internet, and people don't always get it. *is ashamed*

Edge said...

Oh dear. I'm afraid I probably do this too. Thanks for pointing it out!

Bridget said...

I agree with you-and I'm so not using sarcasm. ;) But usually when I use sarcasm, I add a little ;) beside it so people know I'm teasing.

Anonymous said...

I use the ;) thingy too.